~/dnite.org

Saturday, July 23, 2005

podcasting....

I'm not sure what to think about podcasting just yet. I don't really keep track of any. I've listened to pieces of a couple of them and I can't say I'm too impressed. I don't own an iPod (which will change in the very near future) so maybe that's why I don't care to listen to them from the comfort of my computer chair. Not the point though. I think the main thing is that they seem so old. I remember when I was a sophomore in high school and one 'Captain Immy' started an internet radio show called Pointless Audio. It was pretty much him (and sometimes friends) just ranting about stuff that was going on in the world of technology and gaming. This had to have been at least 8 years ago. But this is what podcasting reminds me of. Now I loved Pointless Audio, but the people doing podcasts now a days seem to be 13 year old kids who haven't quite gone through puberty yet. When he wrote in his weblog, I could read that no problem. But the problem comes when I have to listen to him. Pointless Audio was a rare case where the host (now the host of Attack of the Show on G4) was actually witty and funny while still giving news and opinions and playing good music. Not to mention that was live.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I'm indifferent on the whole podcasting thing. I've heard a couple of them and I don't mind TWiT that much but as far as I'm concerned, more than most of the podcasts out there are out there just because they felt like jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my opinion will change when I have an iPod and can take the podcasts with me. I really don't know. Someone jump in if they want to set me straight on what the point of podcasting is.

EDIT :: I should have actually listened to the one person I mentioned in this article before I wrote it. He says it best. Captain Immy himself does run a podcast about Attack of the Show and other stuff. And he mentions the same concerns I have right now. Internet audio HAS been around for a long time. The problem with it now is that it lacks actual production value. That's why I don't get it yet. I understand now and I probably will be checking out a few more podcasts and hoping they actually contain a little bit of production value. Thank you Captain Immy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home