~/dnite.org

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Praise Jesus, Don't shoot that hooker.

Christian video games are trying to replace Grand Theft Auto with.. Um.. Jesus. Christian video game developers think there is too much blood and violence in today's video games that that people should be playing games based on Jesus.

“Some of the games that are out in the mainstream market right now introduce a lot violence, blood, guts and gore,” Bean said. “We found there is a need for an alternative, for families to be able to find fun and entertaining games that reinforce positive images.”

I, for one, would not be entertained by a family game that tried to teach me about Jesus. But the christian video game developers are trying to break out of their christian book stores and their niche market and actually hit the main stream. Now since I have never seen or even heard about a christian video game, I don't know how easy this is going to be for them.

“I play a lot of Christian video games,” Tolin said. “They don’t have fights. You just have to follow Jesus and pick up little crosses for points.”

Does that sound interesting? Or fun? Ya. I didn't think so either.

“I think for Christian video games to really carve out a piece of the market, the games will have to look like they are truly competitive in terms of quality with the mainstream secular games,” explained gaming expert Adam Sessler, who hosts X-Play on G4 TV.

Now theres something I can agree with. A game about following Jesus and picking up crosses along the way for points doesn't sound fun. I think the only way these games will break out of their shell and into the real market is if they concentrate less on making a game that's all about following jesus or answering trivia questions about the bible and more time on actually coming up with a good and solid idea for an actual fun game. This is just stupid. I don't even know why I posted it. If you want to read more, head here for the full article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home